April 11, 2017 Leave a comment
Hello! Lately I’ve had quite a few clients with skin conditions like acne, eczema and psoriasis. I personally have had acne and eczema and understand that horrible, itchy rash that won’t go away. Both were on my face too so that really didn’t help my self-confidence. I tried all those topical creams and ointments but nothing really worked until I discovered that skin issues are a manifestation of an internal imbalance, usually with your digestion, immune system or ability to detoxify.
Let’s talk about glowing healthy skin from the inside out!
Your skin is the largest organ of your body and one of your primary sources of detoxification. Many factors can influence the health of your skin:
- Chemical toxins built up in your body that your skin is trying to eliminate
- Food sensitivities and poor digestive tract function lead to excessive inflammation molecules that deposit in the skin. Poor digestion also leads to poor absorption of essential nutrients like zinc, selenium, vitamin C and omega-3 fatty acids which are vital in maintaining healthy skin
- Since 80% of your immune system is in the lining of the digestive system, digestive issues cause immune system issues and your immune system may not be able to manage inflammation effectively leading to skin issues. It’s all interconnected!
- Hormone imbalances like excess estrogen and testosterone lead to acne, or lowering levels of progesterone and estrogen can lead to dry itchy skin especially in menopause.
- Stress! If your nervous system is under constant stress you will release more histamine which leads to the itchiness and discomfort
Often there is more than one factor influencing the health of your skin and it can be challenging to identify where you need the most support. If you experience acne, eczema, or psoriasis it’s time to consider treating your skin from the inside out with some natural options.
Book your healthy skin appointment today!
Dr. Ellen Simone, Naturopath